DERBY DAYS GONE BY

In the 18th century Derby was a fair sized market town.
1717 The first silk mill in England opened in Derby.
1726 All Saints Church [now the cathedral] was rebuilt.
From the middle of the 18th century porcelain was made in Derby.
The first factory, in Nottingham Road, was opened in the middle of the 18th century. Derby flourished under the management of William Duesbury, who bought out and eventually closed down his rivals at Bow and Chelsea.
1773 George III visited Derby and agreed that a picture of a crown could appear on china. Derby received the Royal Warrant in 1775.
The first half of the 19th century saw the factory's fortunes gradually decline, and the Nottingham Road works closed in 1848. Six workers kept going in premises at King Street, named the Old Crown Derby Works.
1875 a new much bigger factory financed by a group who had been involved with Royal Worcester, and were entirely independent of King Street, was opened in Osmaston Road under the name Crown Derby.
The traditions of early Derby porcelain were revived, and the company was granted the Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria in 1890, after which it was known as Royal Crown Derby. Royal Crown Derby bought the King Street works in 1935, and continues to make porcelain to this day.
1735 Oil lamps were introduced to light the streets.
1768 An act of parliament was made for paving,cleaning and lighting the streets of Derby.
1801 The population of Derby according to the census was 13,043
1810 Derby Infirmary was built.
1821 Gas lighting was to light the streets of Derby.
1833 The Silk Trades Lock Out occurred. It was the first industrial strike action to fight for better wages and work conditions. The event is commemorated in a mural on the side of the The Silk Mill public house.
1839 St Marys Church was built and was designed by the architect A W Pugin.
1839 The railway reached Derby.
1840 Joseph Strutt gave the Arboretum to the town as a gift.
Carriage and Wagon Works
Carriage and Wagon Works
1840 The North Midland Railway set up its works in Derby and,when it merged with the Midland Counties Railway and the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway,to form the Midland Railway, Derby became its headquarters.
The connection with the railway encouraged others, notably Andrew Handyside, Charles Fox and his son Francis Fox.
There were also many iron foundries in Derby.Other industries in the 19th century included brewing and paint making.
Derby grew rapidly in the 19th century.
1841 The original Guildhall Theatre was destroyed by fire.
1842 The Guildhall Theatre was rebuilt. It was designed by Derby man Henry Duesbury.

1866 The Market Hall was opened.It had cost £29,000 to build.
1866-67 Iron Gate was widened by the demolition of the east side. It was originally the same width as Sadler Gate.
1867 Michael Bass, a brewer, gave land to the town to be used as a public park.
1873 The first public swimming pool in Derby was built.
Friargate Railway Bridge
Friargate Railway Bridge
1876 Friar Gate Bridge was built by Andrew Handyside. It was created for the extension of the Great Northern Railway.
1877 The boundaries of the town were extended to include New Normanton and Little Chester.
Derby School Of Art
Derby School Of Art
1878 Derby School of Art opened.
Derby Museum & Library
Derby Museum & Library
1878 The Central Library was opened as a free Museum & Library.It was funded by Michael Thomas Bass who was MP for Derby between 1847 and 1883.
1880 Horse drawn trams ran through the streets of Derby.
Derby Childrens Hospital
Derby Childrens Hospital
1883 A hospital for sick children was built in North St.
1888 Derby County FC were one of the twelve founder teams of the Football League whose first matches kicked-off on September 8th.
1890s Slum clearance began in Derby albeit on a very modest scale.
1890 The former Royal Oak public house building, in the Market Place, was completed. It now houses the city's Register Office.
St Werburghs Church
St Werburghs Church
1894 The building of the present day St Werburgh's Church was completed by Sir Arthur Bloomfield. The original church, of which nothing remains, dated back to around 700 AD.


Visit The Past

1894 The first electric lights in Derby were switched on.
In the late 19th century many new houses were built in Normanton and Peartree.
Derby Tram
Derby Tram in the Market Place
1904 The first electric trams ran in Derby.
1907 Rolls Royce decided to open a factory in Derby where cars and aircraft engines were made. Other industries in Derby in the 20th century were railway engineering and making aircraft engines. There was also a textiles industry.
1910 October. The first cinema in Derby opened.Victoria Electric Theatre/Empire/Black Prince on Becketwell Lane Closed: March 14th 1960
1916 A Zeppelin airship bombed Derby killing 5 people.
1927 All Saints Church was designated as a cathedral in 1927, signalling that the town was ready for city status.
1929 City Hospital was built.
1920s -1930s slum clearance saw the central area of Derby become less heavily populated as families were rehoused on new council estates in the suburbs, where houses for private sale were also constructed. Rehousing, council house building and private housing developments continued on a large scale for some 30 years after the end of World War II in 1945.
1930 Electric trams stopped and were replaced by buses.
1930s A ring road was built around Derby.
1931 Markeaton Park opened to the public.
1932-1967 Derby Corporation Trolleybuses operated,On 9th April 1967 No.236 was the last one home.
1933 A new bus station was built in Derby.
1933 John Logie Baird's Roadshow demonstrated television in Derby (The BBC began regular broadcasts of television in 1936).
1934 The River Gardens opened.
1939-41 The Council House was built.